Games - Add yours!

Discussing memes and meaning with Maija we came up with a game called “throwing snakes”, which falls into a category of non-violent communication; specifically a sub category of “I don’t resonate with that”

(edit: this might already be a thing, I seem to recall Dani mentioning it to us at the Giveth retreat)

Throwing snakes!

So the idea is that when someone is suggesting a fragile solution we think could lead to unintended consequences we throw/post snakes :snake: to suggest there may be issues in line with the Cobra Effect

Rats :rat: are also encouraged :slight_smile:

Another non-violent communication game:

Bunny game

Only the bunny can talk. If passed the bunny, raise your hands to your head, put your thumbs to your temples and wiggle your fingers. Pass the bunny to whoever you think should speak next when done.

Reason: Making oneself look stupid while tiring out our arms is a disincentive to keep speaking and thus a disincentives domination of a conversation.

(From Roberto/Italian drinkers)

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Becomes builders, architects and designers.

• Rocks are builders (wears orange hi-vis)
• Paper is architects (carries clipboards/notebooks?)
• Scissors are designers (covered in paint?)

We need to iterate on the signalling mechanisms :wink:

(From Roberto)

1 Like

Scarcity vs Abundance

• Put tangible currency on a plate.
• Play several times.
• First rounds: Take from others what you need/want and others do similar.
• Return and find what your supplies depleted requiring more TAKING from others, after several rounds watch your scarcity/losses increase as everyone races to the bottom.
• Later rounds: Start again but GIVING this time to see how abundance takes hold as you return to more and more on your plate which then means you require less and less.

(From Pepijn)

1 Like

What if it was all about choice? So the first round wasn’t just about taking and the second round about giving, but right away the game behaves like the real world. You make friends and form alliances when you give, you isolate and have a smaller community of people to connect with when you take. Because really it’s not just about giving all the time either because then you are self-sacrificing. It’s about the balance of the two.

:wave: Hey Rachel! Welcome :slight_smile:

I’m assuming your post is in relation to the scarcity vs abundance game?

I really like your suggestion/modification as a signalling/crew forming exercise. Perhaps it could be played at the start of a retreat the original way to expose the dynamics and then perhaps once again later with your modifications to form teams/crews once people have been together for a while? I like both, so thats my take :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s what it is was in relationship to :blush:

Yes, I think it could be done in layers so that people can fully comprehend the difference. I didn’t think about doing it at a retreat but that would interesting. Are you thinking a live version or virtual?

Live for sure IMO, the visceral feel of having people take cash from your own pocket off your plate, or add cash to your plate would be somewhat hard to translate to the digital space I reckon :slight_smile: