Mindfulness Meter / Appreciative feedback signalling

Mindfulness Meter / Appreciative feedback signalling

Because consensus reality is violent and makes us dumb!

Harmonisation

Having tied a number of non-prescriptive experiments during our dream-along (aka Hack-along v0.01 - iteratively renamed because “Its sooo fractal man!”) we tried several modes of non-prescriptive operation. Most of these tests failed, but we took away practically applied patterns and learnings about what didn’t work and why!

Appreciative feedback

That said, an untried experiment which participants agreed seemed promising was the notion of appreciative feedback (stemming from Integral Theory).

Appreciation is a chosen “current-see” to optimise for as it seems a good unit of account to encompass and summarise the many complexities of human interaction:

Scenario: Thanks for the hug, I felt hurt by that snarky comment you just made but you seem under stress so perhaps I should cook tonight — thanks for purchasing the food.

From above you can probably infer that everything contains a value and balancing the books can sometimes be tricky. Ideally though we want to arrive at a place where we can intersubjectively appreciate ourselves, life and others in a harmonious balance.

The appreciative experiment is essentially a game of mindfulness that allows intentional individuals to make inferences from generalised group feedback to bridge the self actualisation gap. It’s important that we practice this stuff so the multidimensional mirror should really just be taken as a mature honest look at ourselves — feedback is nothing personal, someone is volunteering its provision for our benefit (and they don’t have to, neither do you have to accept it).

Lets remember:

You are playing with friends;
whether you like them or not;
whether they like you, or not;
whether we know it or not.

You can show someone how to look, but not to see.
You can show someone how to listen, but not to hear.
- Guitar Craft Aphorisms (the whY’s)

Helping each-other

As people are generally inconsistent we should weigh the subjects feedback against their previous session, and use generalised feedback metrics that are as simple as possible.

The entry options are: appreciating the relationship more since last feedback (^), appreciating the relationship less since last feedback (V), appreciating the relationship neutrally but its been turbulent (^V), appreciate the relationship the same and its been neutral calm seas ( — )!

Four-quadrants

Integral theory is a tool for fluidly viewing and understanding the world in multiple dimensions. We take a subject and divide it into four quadrants based on frame; interior personal “I”, exterior personal “it”, interior group “us” and exterior group “them.” Please see the picture above :slight_smile:

Interior Personal (click)

This quadrant represents the “personal personal” and the “extra-person personal.” This means how we feel in ourselves or how others think we feel in ourselves.

The former is most likely a cornerstone to doing well in all quadrants but since “we cannot know ourselves” it’s also good to allow others to reflect how they think we are doing with ourselves.

Use this quadrant:
• First; find your name in the subject list, your responses should all be placed on this row.
• Second; find your name in the object list.
• Fill this intersection with how you feel in yourself. Choose a symbol that represents your state change since joining the hack-along; do you appreciate yourself more(^), less (V), neutrally the same ( — ) or turbulently the same (^V)?
• Now, still in the same quadrant along the object row you can choose to fill in data on how you see others perceiving themselves during the hack-along: do they appreciate themselves more, less, neutrally the same or turbulently the same since you got to know them?

Exterior Personal (click)

This quadrant should represent peers interacting to a third party. Do we generally appreciate each others actions more, less, neutrally or have we ridden a wave of turbulence?

The information can be used immediately by individuals to act on and foster good relationships; depending on the data the appropriate response should probably range from p2p conflict resolution to drinks at the pub. Maybe both.

In conjunction with data from the interior singular quadrant participants should be able to infer A LOT of information about their relationships.

Interior collective

Currently out of our experiments scope, but could be indicative of group cohesiveness. Theres a number of interesting metrics that can be derived here and when cohesion is low its likely we would see emergent groups form.

Exterior collective

This is how other groups rate inter-group cohesion. Some emergent tribes may gel, others less so — this allows communities to communicate. It could also be used as means to allow external supporters to signal their preferences.

Conversational log from Telegram

Marko Prljic, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:27:02]:

@JoshAFairhead does that concept mean that a person will receive appreciation signals from the environment that he normally isn’t/wasn’t aware of, and he can respond to them with appreciation to someone/something?

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:29:51]:

I’m not sure I understand you 100% but I think so. Not necessarily all externalities but ones that make up a cluster of immediacy, i.e. their friends/group/project members etc

There probably needs to be a way to define membrane boundaries so ramdomers don’t attack the system

I’m thinking the interface could pretty much look like tinder but you get the same cards over and over

Not sure though

Ideally we keep it as simple as possible at the start, then elaborate on solid patterns

Marko Prljic, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:32:16]:

I’m trying to understand the concept

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:33:00]:

Sure, I’m good to do a call if it suits but otherwise we can work on that here

Think about hack-along house, if a good friend is not chipping in on dishes or whatever how do we express such in an unbiased way? If everyone is noticing but they aren’t it’s draining. But at the same time they might be depressed or something so actually need help. So so singular internal is where they feel they are at (depressed) and exterior singular is what the group sees from a plural perspective.

Given help, which they appreciate they have an incentive to reciprocate and help the group bringing things back into balance (at least that’s the idea)

Marko Prljic, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:39:08]:

“how you see others perceiving themselves during the hack-along” - so there’s first an event that has to happen, and then how can a person know how others feel about themselves? For that one should have a higher state of mindfulness/consciousness, but first self-aware

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:39:56]:

That’s what the mechanism aims to teach for sure but you can choose an arbitrary starting point and move from there

Marko Prljic, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:40:20]:

Singular internal is blurry, we cannot know for sure, we can think that we know, or assume

exterior singular will be biased by individual seeing (you don’t see what I see)

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:42:47]:

Agree, that’s why they actually put what they want up (the primary) and then people that know the person’s best guesses to augment (secondary). I’d suggest it’s just a self rating to start, guesses after. People put on masks so it’s hard to tell, but crowdsourced by close colleges/friends would be useful data

Marko Prljic, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:43:15]:

Just trying to think about all scenarios, not undermine the concept :slightly_smiling_face:

Also trying to understand possible consequences of such mechanism

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:43:42]:

For sure, and good points!

Appreciated broski :wink:

Systems need to be robust!

#break it till you cant

Marko Prljic, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:44:39]:

:wink:

And after all data is in, what’s the output for me, for others, for the group?

And when is the output generated? I mean when does a system respond to me after I added the data? Instantly or is there waiting timem

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:48:38]:

I think you could get a matrix per quadrant and integral of each (summed etc)

So depends on your preference/available time

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:49:38]:

I think it should probably be real time but I’m not sure

Marko Prljic, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:51:19]:

So if I think of this as a product, it could be my personal consciousness scanner in the pocket. I may be way off, just thinking out loud.

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:53:05]:

Yeah mindfulness meter perhaps

Marko Prljic, [10 Aug 2019 at 15:58:37]:

Because in a nutshell, you’re trying to map people’s thinking and state of mind in a particular situation and in general. If they rely to much on this, given it proves to be accurate (they value it more), they depend on the system which in turn hurts their natural evolution of self awareness.

Oh…this is deep, let me think about this more.

Josh, [10 Aug 2019 at 16:00:27]:

:joy::joy::joy::joy: 4 quadrants gives soooo many levels. Theoretically if you’re good you don’t need it but yeah man, philosophise away (especially on the dark patterns!)